Friday, April 9, 2010

Moving Toward Motion

Categories:



Lately, I have been experimenting with video production and have been working hard to learn new technology and workflow. The above video was pieced together as a way to learn Final Cut Pro. It took me much longer than it should have, but I learned a lot about editing along the way.

The original footage was shot back in February and was not planned. I used this day as an opportunity to play and experiment with the Canon 5D Mark II. This video is by no means perfect, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to make.

In the spirit of learning, please give me your feedback. What do you like about the video, what do you dislike? I am open to all comments and suggestions.

Happy Spring!

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

5 Response to Moving Toward Motion

April 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Ryan, This is a fun video. I love the fact that you actually went ahead and made it. I am trying to get into it but having trouble finding time. From the little video I have done, the only thing I could say is that it is hard to shoot hand held because any little movement shows. Other than that there are great shots, lighting and angles. Congrats! -Jim

April 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Good work, Ryan! The one piece of constructive criticism I'd give is working a bit on camera stabilization and movement. A rig like this would really help: http://www.adorama.com/RRCSDBLGDBLG.html That said, not having used a pro rig like this, you did a great job!

April 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Jim and Shalom, thank you for your honest feedback.

Jim, time has been an issue for me as well and I have found that I curb many projects because I set such high standards for myself. While I think high standards are great, sometimes it's beneficial to just get it out there. That's what this video represents, because if I would have waited until it was perfect, I'd never have started this conversation. As Seth Godin might say, shipping is essential to becoming a linchpin.

Shalom, I have been learning the importance of camera stabilization and hope to purchasing some DSLR camera rigs in the near future. Thanks for the link!

April 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Nice work, Ryan.

Maybe it's me, but I couldn't view it correctly unless I saw it on YouTube. It worked great on YouTube, though.

That's the fun of FCP, I think. Outputting is a mystery and trial and error takes a long time to teach me anything.

That said, I think you made a great effort here. I liked the selective focus and the view from above in particular. Congratulations on your great attitude and spirit. You're an inspiration.

April 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Thanks for the comment Thomas and thank you for mentioning that you had difficulty viewing the video. When I originally posted I had trouble getting it to format properly, but thought I had figured it out. I'd love to hear if anyone else is experiencing problems.

The view from above is one of my favorite shots in this video too. Whenever I watch it I am reminded that I was standing on the top step of an 8 foot ladder on top of a skateboard ramp only inches away from the snowboarder. I had complete confidence in his ability to not hit me.

Post a Comment