Thursday, December 3, 2009

Powered Paragliding

Categories:

I have put myself in a lot of strange positions in order to get the shot I perceive in my head, but I've never been able to truly get into the sky. Hanging off the side of a cliff, standing on top of a crane, or teetering precariously from the top step of a 12 foot ladder is one thing, but to be able to truly shoot from the air is a completely different beast. I have had a desire to photograph from the air for years and have never had the opportunity.

Recently, by a series of unrelated but oddly similar coincidences I have been introduced to the idea of powered paragliding. It wasn't long ago that I read an article about photographer George Steinmetz in PDN and was blown away by the uniqueness of his work. The other day I was talking with Zander Hartung, who happens to be a talented filmmaker as well as a paraglider. He reminded me of Steinmetz' work so I went back to take another look.



By looking at George and Zander's work, I was inspired all over again to find a way to shoot from the sky. The area in which I live offers a perfect platform for shooting from a powered paraglider. I live in a wide open valley with rolling hills, farmland and unique mountain features and have often dreamed of soaring through the valley.

It is my hope that in a few years I will be sharing aerial photographs of Mercersburg and the surrounding areas of Franklin County with you.

What inspires you?

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

4 Response to Powered Paragliding

December 3, 2009 at 1:13 PM

People that inspire me:
Ryan Smith
Mark Rebilas
Andrew Weber
Chase Jarvis

All amazing photographers that inspire me to become a better photographer.

December 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Awesome! I am a huge fan of personal aviation - mostly free flight, that relies on thermals or upward moving air. But, for photography like this, you do need a motor to get to some of these places. Hope to see you in the air sometime.

December 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Ricky, I feel honored that you would put me in the same category as Chase Jarvis, Andrew Weber and Mark Rebilas. Wow!

Jono, I thought this post might intrigue you. I've been wondering, have you ever had the opportunity to shoot from the air? I imagine it's damn near impossible to photograph from a hang glider or paraglider without the aid of an engine.

Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous
December 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Ryan
I have been thinking about getting my private pilots license at the airport here in town. Pretty expensive. My current, cheaper interest, has become Remote Control planes. I have been looking at some really cool video imagery from RC planes rigged with cameras. Keep me posted on the development of this interest. I might get it on this with you. See you guys in a couple weeks.
Conrad Schaefer

Post a Comment